Rennes 2 University is descended from the old Arts Faculty founded in Rennes in 1810. It is the largest teaching and research center for the arts and social sciences in the north-west of France.
- 15,000 undergraduate, graduate and PhD students
- 2,200 students on continuing education courses
- 80 Master's Degrees
- 550 PhD students
- 600 teaching and research staff
- 19 research units
- 3 campuses, including one in Saint-Brieuc
Teaching and Research Faculties (UFR)
- fine arts, literature, communication
- languages (21 modern languages)
- human sciences
- social sciences
- sports science
Rennes 2 University, with 21 modern languages taught at undergraduate and graduate level, is particularly proud of its international relations and has long-standing relationships with higher education institutions on all five continents. Every year, over 2,000 international students representing a hundred or so nationalities attend the university, which has a special French as a Foreign Language Department (CIREFE). In terms of outgoing students, Rennes 2 University sends some 400 students to study abroad each year.