Housing search assistance

All year long, the CMI Rennes offers a service to help international researchers and PhD students of its member institutions to find an accommodation.

In order to assist you in your housing search, you must fill out the application form by clicking on the button below.


Once you have completed the form, you can send it to

We will do our best to help you find an accommodation.

To facilitate the search, it is imperative to send us your request at least one month in advance.

Please note: CMI Rennes does not own any residence.


Before starting

Looking for accommodation in Rennes, especially at the beginning of the academic year, can be long and difficult.
We advise you not to wait till the last minute to start looking. 
Thus, you must have a perfect tenant file to get a chance to be choosen by a landlord. The usual required documents are:

  • Passeport

  • Student card or student certificate

  • Scholarship or any proof of incomes

  • Guarantee:

    • Either you know someone living in France who can give you: their 3 last payslips, their last income tax paper, their ID or resident permit card, a proof of accommodation


    • If you don’t know anyone in France, you can apply for the VISALE, it is quick (48 hours) and totally free : https://www.visale.fr (only if you are under 30y.o)




Be carefull with SCAMS :

  • Always visit the flat before paying the rent and signing the contract
  • Some agencies will ask you to pay around 150€ to provide you with a list of accommodations: don’t go with these agencies. If you want to rent a flat through an agency, you have to know that all visits are free and you will only pay the agency fees when you will sign the contract with them.

For any questions about accommodation, feel free to contact us at  : cmi-logement@univ-rennes2.fr


Adverts (private individuals)

  • The owner rents his property without an estate agent
  • No agency fees to pay
  • Some units are furnished, including studios



Adverts estate agents

  • The owner goes through a real estate agency to rent their housing
  • Agency fees are expected
  • It is rare to find furnished accommodation


Adverts (notaries)

  • Same principle as the estate agents
  • Notary fees are less important


Temporary accommodation

Hotels, lodges, guest houses, campsites, etc..


Student housing

The apartments offered by CROUS and homes are exclusively for students, doctoral students included (up to 32 years).



Private residences

  • Rental studios, T1, T2 and T3 for all public
  • Rarely furnished housing