"Scientist" status residence permit

If you intend to live and work in France for longer than three months and do not hold a temporary residence permit, you must apply for a "scientist" status residence permit ("scientist's" residence certificate for Algerian nationals).

The residence permit is proof that you are legally entitled to reside in France. You should therefore always carry it with you.

The dates on the residence permit must be identical to those of the "hosting agreement".

Please note: maximum validity for a first residence permit is 12 months.

Do not forget to renew your residence permit if staying longer than 12 months.

For family members:

  • Your spouse should have a temporary residence permit bearing the words "vie privée et familiale" (private and family business) (or a residence certificate bearing the words "vie privée et familiale" for Algerian nationals).
  • Children under the age of 18 do not require residence permits.

Note: when in possession of a residence permit "vie privée et familiale", your spouse is entitled to work without having to apply for a work permit and without having to provide an employment contract when applying for a residence permit at the Préfecture.

How to obtain your residence permit:

If you are a PhD student or a researcher working in a research unit belonging to one of the Rennes IMC member institutions:

By special arrangement with the Ille-et-Vilaine "Préfecture", you and your spouse may apply via our services.
Therefore, you do not need to go to the Prefecture in person : the Rennes IMC can help you with this procedure.

Ask for an appointment and come to the IMC office :

Note : an information and residence permit desk is open during the 1st semester of each academic year for students and PhD students, click here to know more about it.

> Find out more about the documents needed to apply for your residence permit.

Find out more about renewing a "scientist" residence permit
See the Fondation nationale Alfred Kastler (FnAK) web site