Short-stay visas

IMPORTANT. Please note: Citizens of certain countries do not need to apply for this type of visa (see list of countries below)

The short-stay visa is for visits lasting up to three months (maximum 90 days) and is delivered by the local French consulate. It has the letter C.

It can be used in all the Schengen states (visa bearing the words "Schengen States") and specifies the dates given on the "hosting agreement".

You are advised to apply for a "Multiple Entry" visa ("MULT" visa), so as to make it easier for you to move in and out of the Schengen Area (to attend conferences, meet with foreign partners, or simply for tourism purposes).

If you have this kind of visa, you do not need to apply for a residence permit on arrival in France.

For family members:

  • Your spouse must apply for a short-stay "scientist's spouse" visa for stays of under three months.
  • Any children on your passport will be covered by your visa application (if for instance you have two children, the visa will bear the annotation "+ 2X"). Make sure that the names and dates of birth of any children likely to travel with you are specified on the visa application form.

Countries whose nationals do not need visas for stays of up to three months:
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chili, South Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia, United States, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nicaragua, New-Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Romania, Saint-Marin, Holy See, Salvador, Singapore, Switzerland, Uruguay, Venezuela.
This also applies to EU Member States and to those belonging to the European Economic Area.

More about the "Short-stay visas":
See the Ministére de l’Intérieur website.