This page answers all your questions about “Accommodation”.


Click on one of the links to go directly to the section you’re interested in.


General questions

>>> Can I apply for CROUS accommodation? 

CROUS accommodation is reserved for postgraduate and PhD students.
However, if you are an undergraduate student, you may apply if you have a French government scholarship or are enrolled in an exchange programme.
CROUS Rennes website: https://www.crous-rennes.fr/logements/​ 

>>> I am looking for accommodation in Rennes, who should I contact?

If you are a student at one of the CMI’s member institutions, we can help you find accommodation. Contact the accommodation office by email.
If you want to search for accommodation yourself, you will find various apartments and house shares listed on Leboncoin (beware of scams. Never pay anything until you have signed your lease).
You can also contact an estate agency.

>>> Does the Cité International de Rennes provide accommodation for international students? 

The Cité International is for international PhD students and researchers only. 

>>> I am in a dispute with my landlord or my estate agent, what should I do? 

You can contact the ADIL for legal advice on accommodation issues. 

>>> I want to move out of my accommodation before the lease expires. Is this possible? 

Yes. However, you must give notice of departure (1 to 3 months depending on your situation) - more info: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1168

>>> I am leaving my accommodation, what do I need to do?

  • send your notice of departure to the owner.
  • make an appointment for the exit inventory
  • cancel all your subscriptions (electricity, gas, internet, water)
  • indicate your new address to the owner, taxes etc.
  • inform CAF of your departure
  • if you are staying in France, do not forget to change the address on your residence permit, it is mandatory.


Guarantor and security deposit.

>>> I’m being asked for a guarantor, but I don’t know anyone in France. What should I do? 

Most landlords, residences and estates agencies require a guarantor.
> If you are under 30 and you do not have a guarantor, you are entitled to use the VISALE free rent guarantee.
   Watch Campus France video tutorial about VISALE: in English, in Spanish.
> If you are over 30 years old, some private insurance companies offer rent guarantees for a fee.  

>>> I am being asked for a security deposit, what is it?

A security deposit may be requested by your landlord. It is used to protect your landlord against damage that could occur during your rental. It will be returned to you when you leave your accommodation, if the exit inventory does not indicate any damage that did not appear in the entry inventory.

Be vigilant when entering the apartment and report any details you notice to your landlord.
The security deposit is usually equivalent to one month's rent and it must be specified in the rental agreement.

>>> After leaving my accommodation, when will I get my deposit back?

If the exit inventory complies with the entry inventory, the period for returning the security deposit is reduced to 1 month. Otherwise, it must be returned to you within 2 months of departure.

>>> Can the owner withdraw part of the security deposit from me?

Yes, if the accommodation is damaged. However, if the landlord claims costs for the restoration of the accommodation, these must be justified with quotes or supporting invoices. Some damage may be attributable to you (holes in the walls, damage, lack of maintenance, etc.) but in no case wear and tear due to the obsolescence of the furniture and equipment.

To avoid surprises at the end of the lease, take the time to make a detailed inventory at the entrance and, during the rental, report to your landlord any damage related to your accomodation (water leak, humidity, etc.).


Expenses and financial aid

>>> I have heard about CAF housing benefits. Am I eligible? 

The CAF offers financial assistance to anyone with rent to pay. You may be eligible for personal housing assistance (APL) or social housing assistance (ALS) depending on the type of accommodation you are in. Assistance is allocated based on a number of criteria. To find out if you are eligible, use the simulator on the CAF website.

You must apply to the CAF as soon as you move into your accommodation. 

>>> For my CAF application to be accepted, what documents must I provide?

Consult the attached list: https://cmi.univ-rennes.fr/fr/doctorants-chercheurs/fiche/CAF

>>> Is the payment of APL / ALS (CAF) retroactive?

No. The payment of aid takes into account the date of submission of the application and not the date of moving in. This is why you must apply as soon as you enter your accommodation.

>>> Must I have home insurance in place before moving into the accommodation? 

Yes. You must take out home insurance before moving into the accommodation.
It will protect you against risks such as fire, water damage, burglary, etc. 

>>> Are there any other charges to pay besides the rent? 

Charges are sometimes included in your rent. It is therefore important to check with your landlord what is or is not included in your rent. 
You will usually need to take out a contract for electricity, gas, the internet and, in some cases, water.  


Do you have any questions about applying for a residence permit? Go to FAQs – residence permits.

Do you have any questions about health insurance? Go to FAQs – Health insurance & CVEC.